Saturday, December 31, 2011

#40: LA Kings Game

So this year I have seen the Lakers, the Dodgers, and the Trojans. In the past I've seen the Clippers, the Galaxy and even the Angels, and the only team left (besides the Sparks and let's be honest, when has the WNBA ever counted) was the LA Kings hockey team.

I've never been a fan of hockey, for no particular reason. I just always thought it was super violent so I wrote it off (silly me!). But luckily for me, my boyfriend is a huge hockey fan and surprised me with tickets to the Kings for New Year's Eve. I didn't really know what to expect, but I went with an open mind and was just happy to be doing something different for New Year's.

We took the train into downtown again - and this time, instead of parking in Hollywood (massive cluster normally, epic cluster on New Year's) we parked a few stations further away FOR FREE at Universal Studios. We took the red line into downtown, then since we were being lazy, transferred to the blue line that lets out right next to the Staples Center. The train was packed with Kings fans, so it was a party-like atmosphere on the ride down.

With all the logistics of parking and trains, we thought we would be late to the game, but we got there even in time to hear the national anthems! The Kings were playing the Vancouver Canucks, so they sang the Canadian anthem as well as ours. Which was great because it gave us some extra time to grab food quickly before making it to our seats before the drop of the puck.

Now, I thought I would be apprehensive about seeing dudes beating on each other with hockey sticks, but evolution be damned because I LOVED it! Ronny was patient and explained the basics to me, like penalties and power-plays, and the proper way to taunt the opposing team's goalie after a shot is made (I loved it!) The level of participation from the fans - which had a great showing of Canuck fans as well - was unlike any other kind of sporting event I've been to. It was so exhilarating and exciting, and I also loved the pace of the game. The hardest part about watching football for me is the fact that it stops every 10 seconds, but hockey keeps going.

During one of the intermissions, we got up to get beer and stood in line in front of 2 hardcore Canucks fans, traveling here from Vancouver. And you can keep making those Canadian stereotypes, because they were SO nice and polite and respectful. They even complimented us on being Kings fans, because Kings fans are just "so great". What the heck. Raiders fans shoot the opposing team's fans, Dodgers fans beat them nearly to death, but Canucks fans compliment you and shake your hand. Awesome. (Oh, Ronny did just remind me that they also riot when they lose...)

After we got beer we did a lap around the Staples Center, and went outside to the balcony/ smoking section to see all the New Year's revelers in the LA Live plaza below. While we were out there, an epic chant-war started, with the beligerant Kings fans shouting "U-S-A! U-S-A!" in the faces of a group of Canucks fans. And God bless 'em, the Canucks fans retorted with "WEEE HAAVVE HEAAATHCAARE! WEEE HAAVVE HEAATHCAARE!!" Burn, Canada. Buuuurrnn.

The Kings ended up winning 4-1, which is a pretty solid win for a hockey game. All the fans were going crazy and I was there right along with them. I have absolutely fallen in love with hockey games and I can't wait to go again! The best part about it is that you don't have to have a master's understanding of the game to enjoy yourself, and tickets are a fraction the cost of Lakers seats. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to try something different - and I hear this season's Kings team has a chance at the Stanley Cup!!

Note: Apologies for the picture quality, my camera broke and my iPhone has been working overtime!

This is how close the Staples Center is from the train drop off. I'm never walking from the Red Line again!



View from our seats


Wearing our Kings Crowns!

PS - I just realized that I spent three major holidays this year at sporting events. Dodgers was on July 4th, USC Trojans was on Thanksgiving weekend, and this one was on New Year's Eve!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I love going to hockey games in person too! Im so glad you had a positive first experience.

    ReplyDelete