Wednesday, December 28, 2011

#8: The Getty Villa in Malibu

As anyone who knows me knows, in college I studied abroad in Greece. I didn't just pick that destination out of the blue; I had been borderline obsessed with ancient Greek culture since I was 11 years old and first learned what ancient cultures were. While in Greece, I toured around all the big cities, historic sites, museums, etc, and was absolutely in love. But anyway, I'll save the boring recap details and just get to the point of this post. When the beautiful Getty Villa opened a few years ago, exclusively featuring Getty's extensive collection of Greek, Roman and Etruscan art, it immediately went on my "must see someday" list.

My boyfriend and I made reservations to go the day after Christmas. We had lunch in Malibu beforehand, and then made our way to the Villa. It is worth noting that the only way to get to the museum is from the PCH going north-bound. That would have been fine if we just came from LA, but since we went further into Malibu for lunch, we ended up going south towards the museum and had to make a u-turn, which is pret-ty stressful on the PCH and I don't recommend it! Entrance to the museum is free (you have to make a reservation online) but parking costs $15.


A little Getty Villa history, courtesy of the 12-minute orientation video:

The first Getty museum was staged in J. Paul Getty's own Malibu home in the 1950's. As his collection grew, he commissioned the building of the Getty Villa, built adjacent to his home in the Malibu hills. The Villa opened in the 1970's - after Getty's death- and housed his entire, eclectic collection. But soon the Getty Trust was expanding the collection at a rapid pace, and they ran out of room again. The Trust soon began plans to build the Getty Center, which opened in 1997 and is a landmark in Los Angeles, sitting in the hills above Westwood next to the 405 freeway. (It is also a destination I highly recommend. I have been there probably 10 times and always make a beeline for the West Pavilion!)

When the Center opened, the Trust began extensive renovations on the now-empty Villa property. 8 years later it reopened as the home to Getty's most prized treasures - the ancient Greek and Roman art, pottery, statues and artifacts.

I must say, the setting of the villa couldn't have been more perfect. It was built to emulate a mansion found in the ruins of Mt. Vesuvius, and flowed perfectly from indoor to outdoor, and had several outdoor gardens and courtyards. Not to mention that it is literally on top of the hill above the beach in Malibu, and the views are unparalleled. I've never been to Rome, but I could imagine this is how the wealthy Romans lived 3,000 years ago.

As the collection is all from roughly the same period, the pieces are organized by theme instead of chronology. There were rooms dedicated to Gods and Goddesses, Luxury Vessels, the Trojan War (a personal favorite), and Dionysus and the Theatre. But the real reason to visit the museum (if you aren't an Ancient Greece nut like me) is for the gardens. They were built to feature the statues (replicas are outdoors), popular plants from the era, and the views.

Overall, it was a really great experience. I saw pieces that added to things I learned while in Greece. There are also several different tours offered throughout the day, but I decided to pass on a tour since I already had a base knowledge on the era. It is easy to compare the Villa to the Getty Center, but it's not a very fair comparison. The Getty Center is more awe-inspiring both in its collection and its location, but for Greek and Roman art, the Villa can't be beat. I recommend it for anyone that wants to spend an afternoon in Malibu - just make sure to go on a sunny day for the most amazing experience!


The Villa, sitting atop the Malibu hills


The biggest outdoor garden, with a view of the main museum building



A typical Roman vase (there are about 3,000 more similar to this in the museum!)



A statue of Heracles carrying a lion carcass - one of the more famous statues in the collection


Such a beautiful setting on a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment