Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bay Area Adventures: The Walt Disney Family Museum

Back in 2009, I faced a (mercifully) brief stint of unemployment.  2009 was a tough year to be unemployed, and I was determined not to let it sink my spirits.  At that time, I had a friend who worked at Disneyland and could get up to 3 people into the park for free everyday.  So after I had done my depressing rounds of job-applying every morning, I would drive down to Long Beach, pick up my best friend Hillary, and drive over to Anaheim to go to Disneyland (she was a bartender and worked nights). In the 8 weeks or so that I was income-less, I enjoyed the luxury of going to Disneyland about 15 times.  It got to the point where I could have walked around the entire park with my eyes closed, I rode every ride (seemingly) a hundred times, and made some really awesome memories with my best friends.  I can look back on that bleak period of my life with fondness (mostly because my unemployment ended with an awesome job at Paramount Pictures!) but also because it was filled with Disney-happiness, and not depressing days of joblessness.

My Disney love affair certainly didn't begin at the age of 22, but it definitely taught me, through adults eyes, how Disney can bring joy to everyone.  So when I moved up to the Bay Area, I was intrigued to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio - especially because the museum wasn't just a collection of Disney works, but was actually dedicated to telling Walt Disney's own story, from his humble beginnings all the way through to how his legacy changed- and continues to affect - American pop and entertainment culture.

My friend Jess and I visited the museum on a typically misty day last fall. Admission was a bit pricey at $20 each, but we quickly learned that the content and quality in the museum were well worth the price tag.  The entrance lobby was framed on all walls with cabinets filled with the various prestigious awards Disney has won - dozens of Academy Awards, Emmys, Golden Globes, etc - an impressive sight (Google tells me the total of awards displayed is 248, pretty amazing).  The first exhibit after leaving the lobby was about Walt's grandparents and parents, and their lives in Ireland, then Canada, before bringing their children into the United States.  The next hall showed artifacts from Walt's childhood growing up in Missouri, including his brief (underage) stint in the Army during World War I.

As Walt came into adulthood, so did his artistic visions, and soon we were walking through halls full of early sketches of Mickey Mouse, followed by walls full of iPads playing different Mickey Mouse cartoons.  Soon we were seeing exhibits on the early Disney feature films, complete with a nice little viewing area to watch Fantasia (we took a few minutes break, just enough time to watch the classic "Sorcerer's Apprentice" scene).  All of the exhibits were multi-media - large TV screens, iPads, interactive displays, framed sketches and hand-written memos and other correspondence, collections of artifacts - and in every direction there was something interesting to see.

We walked through different exhibits for each of the feature films, then turned a corner and walked down a long spiraling ramp, and at the bottom of the ramp was a super awesome to-scale diorama of Disneyland.  Jess and I totally geeked out over the model, and it brought back all those memories of my many trips to Disneyland as a kid and as an adult.

After the Disneyland diorama, there were a few more exhibits, mostly focusing on his plans for Walt Disney World.  And lastly, we walked through a very somber but powerful display -  a collection of stories including a Peanut's comic strip, comments from the President, and other pop culture figures in response to Disney's death in 1966.

After we exited the last exhibit, we headed up to the gift shop to look around, where we learned that every month the museum features a different "matinee" of a classic Disney film, which was included in our admission.  That day's show was "Bambi," which I was actually quite interested in seeing since I hadn't seen it in probably over twenty years.    For a film that has probably 10 lines of dialogue in the whole feature, the artistry and emotion were incredibly powerful! It's definitely a classic for a reason (ignoring the fact that hearing the mother behind us explain to her young son what "happened" to Bambi's mom was one of the sadder things I had experienced in a long time!)

In the end, I had a blast at the museum.  I have always loved Disney as an artist and a cultural icon, and this museum totally did him justice, while only slightly pandering to the Disney-philes.  I would highly recommend a trip!

Museum from the front

A wall of iPads showcasing different Mickey Mouse cartoons

A huge collection of Mickey memorabilia

A range of Pantone paint colors used in Sleeping Beauty

Stills from Song of the South (the banned, racist one!)

A still from Lady and the Tramp

Early Cinderella character sketches

Disneyland diorama from above

Disneyland diorama



No comments:

Post a Comment