Thursday, December 5, 2013

30 Before 30: Take a Pottery Class

Clockwise from top: The studio is full of shelves of student work in every stage of production; getting my hands dirty attempting to make a mug; my perfect final bowl; posing on the wheel

There are several items on my 30-Before-30 list that are art-related, due mostly to my late grandmother, who was an artist.  Even into her 80s she was enthusiastically trying her hand at new media, and years after her passing, she still inspires me to push myself artistically. Though she was waaay more gifted than I will ever be, I've always loved having such a great artistic role model. So when my friend Emily and I signed up for a 6-week wheel pottery class at Higher Fire in downtown San Jose, I was enthusiastic to challenge myself.  Little did I know how much of a challenge it actually would be. 

Watching experienced potters create these amazing pieces just out of a lump of clay is really amazing, and also really misleading.  There is a finesse involved that is not apparant, and the learning curve is deceptively steep.  The first two classes, where we learned how to "throw" the clay on the wheels, were two of the most frustrating classes I have ever taken in my life.  I was definitely near tears at one point.  As someone who has been generally able to pick up art basics in the past, I could not understand why the basics of pottery were so difficult for me.   Luckily, our instructor, Jonathan, was incredibly understanding and encouraging.  He placated us by confirming that yes, the learning curve is steep, and that we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves. 

After six 3-hour classes, I successfully made a bowl.  Yes, a bowl.  I mean, I made several bowls and cups, but they never made it off my wheel before I somehow destroyed them.  So much for giving away Susan Originals to all my friends for Christmas this year, hah!  Regardless, I am beyond proud of myself that I was able to successfully throw, bake, glaze, and fire this bowl. I feel more accomplished in this than many other things in my life, because during the first class, I was convinced I would never get it. Emily and I both are looking forward to taking another series of classes in the future, and hopefully by that time I will be able to make a vase, or even a mug!

No comments:

Post a Comment