Wednesday, August 31, 2011

#37: The Grilled Cheese Truck

Everyone has their own comfort food. Regardless of the weather or how bad the day has been, there is always that one meal that can make everything better. For me, that food has always been a grilled cheese sandwich. Not the healthiest or most balanced meal, but paired with some tomato soup, a cozy blanket and a chick flick, it has always been able to cure even my sourest moods. So when I heard that there was a food truck specifically dedicated to my comfort food, I had to track it down.

Little did I know, that the Grilled Cheese Truck is like the food truck of the moment in Los Angeles. If I could even find a time when the truck was in my area, I could then count on there being an hour-long line at the least. But luckily for me, three amazing things happened all at once to make my trip to the Grilled Cheese Truck possible. 1) a gas station near work recently was converted into a parking lot for lunch-time food trucks, 2) no one knows about it yet so there aren't many crowds and 3), the Grilled Cheese Truck decided to stop there one day during my lunch break.

My coworker Brett and I headed over to, as they now call it "the Truck Stop" (aka the old Valero gas station on La Brea and Beverly) for some amazing grilled cheese. I pored over the menu beforehand, and decided that I was going to deviate from my classic favorite (cheddar on wheat) for something more exciting: jabanero jack on french bread with a savory bbq pork addition. If it hadn't been the middle of August and hot and sunny, I would have added a cup of tomato soup.

The wait was only about 10 minutes, but it was downright agonizing when surrounded by the smell of various grilled cheese creations. When I finally got my sandwich, I felt like I had a hot treasure in my hands (and it weighed about as much as a brick of gold, too). I had to wait another agonizing 10 more minutes before we drove back to work, to eat our sandwiches since the Truck Stop has yet to install tables. But oh man, it was worth the wait!

The jabanero jack was spicy (but not too spicy for a weakling like me), the bread was soft but crunchy on the outside, and the bbq pork was a perfect addition. I may have gained 2 pounds, and the $8 price tag was a bit steep, but the experience was well worth it. I really hope the Grilled Cheese truck stops by again soon, because I have heard amazing things about their cheesy mac & rib sandwich, s'mores sandwich (yes!), as well as pretty much ALL their different cheeses- fresh mozzarella, gruyere, and double cream brie. O. M. G.

I highly recommend the Grilled Cheese Truck, ideally if you can find it in your area without an hour-long wait!


Luckily it was a short line when we got there!


The menu, adorned with the awesome "truck-stop girl" logos on the bottom.



Cheesy, melty, deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment