Sunday, September 11, 2011

#33: The LA Natural History Museum

I was planning on saving the LA Natural History Museum until a rainy day in winter, but after Ronny kept seeing the "DINOSAUR HALL NOW OPEN!" banners on light posts all over Los Angeles, he insisted we head over to the museum last weekend.

"C'mon babe, they have a hall full of dinosaurs!!"

I could hardly say no to his enthusiasm, so we headed over to the museum. As we entered, we were greeted by a huge dinosaur skeleton, already making our trip worth it. We checked out the map and came up with a game plan. We spent about three hours exploring, and I must say, I was a bit surprised that the museum wasn't at all like what I was expecting.

Overall, I liked the museum, but I felt that the exhibits were a little scattered, and obviously tailored to a younger audience. There were diorama halls of African and North American mammals, and though very beautiful and lifelike, it just seemed a fragmented collection of animals. There was a bird exhibit, but it was just these big display cases full of taxidermic birds that Ronny said reminded him of that creepy uncle with the even creepier bird obsession. There was the "Hall of Mammals," not to be confused with the aforementioned North American and African mammal halls, which kind of showed the evolution of mammals. I didn't really understand how this part worked with the rest of the exhibits, seeing as it was right next to the dinosaurs and clear across the building from the other mammal exhibits. And there was an exhibit that grouped a zebra, llama, tiger, and sperm whale together. It just didn't make much sense to me.

A personal highlight, however, was the gem and mineral hall. Though a bit overwhelming, with its black walls and low ceilings, not to mention the dim lights (all the money went into lighting the gems, which I guess I can appreciate), the displays were all really interesting and educational. There was a great gold rush exhibit which I looooved, but I think it's obvious that the fist-sized gold nugget was my favorite part. There was also a gem vault, like, a literal vault that you walk into to look at glittery displays. This seemed to be the only part of the museum that was not tailored to children, as the displays were at eye-level for us. The rubies and diamonds and other North American native stones like turquoise and opals were beautiful. Nothing to compare to the Smithsonian of course, (snob alert), but I was actually surprised at the wide array of indigenous gems.

But I must say, the huge attraction and main reason to go to this museum is the huge, brand new dinosaur hall. Those light-post signs all over LA really aren't messing around. There are few things in life less impressive, in my opinion, than a full-size dinosaur skeleton. To think animals that large used to live in what is now Montana is pretty mind-blowing. The museum has really poured a lot of money and resources into obtaining enough bones to make complete skeletons, and manufacturing pieces to complete those that aren't complete. There were a lot of interactive displays (aimed at kids) that explained dinosaurs and their existence. My favorite was the triceratops skeleton, because that little brat was always my favorite character in The Land Before Time.

With a student discount (I am a student of life, remember?), it was $9 entrance fee, which I think is worth it to see the dinosaur exhibits alone. But the other exhibits don't require long study, a quick walk-through really was sufficient for me (with extra time for the gems of course). I don't really plan on going back, but instead look forward to checking out the Tim Burton exhibit at the LACMA soon!


The entrance, right across a courtyard from the LA Memorial Coliseum football field


Full Triceratops skeleton made from 3 different specimens


Stegosaurus complete with original spine-fins


That T-Rex totally has my back

No comments:

Post a Comment