Thursday, January 27, 2011

#13: Pink's Famous Chili Dogs

They might call their chili dogs famous, but I'm pretty sure Pink's is most well known for the RIDICULOUSLY long lines that always wrap around the building. I drive past Pink's everyday on my way home from work and have always been curious what all the fuss is about. Plus, the place is an institution, easily the most well-known hot dog stand in the whole city, and has been around since 1939. But I have been putting off going because I really hate waiting in lines, even if it is for potentially the best hot dog experience of my life (and we all know how much I love hot dogs).

It was a lovely warm day in Los Angeles (the 3rd week of January of course) when my boyfriend Ronny and I decided to check out Pink's. We initially went around 2pm on Saturday, and there were at least 100 people in line. Ronny was hungry (and he gets pretty grumpy when he's hungry) and there was no way we were going to wait that long for lunch. It wasn't until the next day, Sunday, that we passed by that part of town again, this time around 9pm. Lo and behold, there were only about 10 people in line!

We hopped in line and had a great time reading all the different "specials"... I seriously considered the "Ozzy Dog" which was a spicy polish dog with nacho cheese, grilled onion, guacamole and tomatoes. Even with the 10 people in line, it still took almost half an hour for us to order... which was a little annoying. But I guess since they custom- make each hot dog to your specifications, it just takes a long time. My arteries protested the Ozzy Dog, so I settled on a plain spicy polish dog with ketchup. And boy, was it SPICY!! I actually had to trade Ronny for his grilled mushrooms and swiss dog (he was just thrilled about that, let me tell ya). He also got a chili dog with kraut, which didn't sound appealing to me at all, but he vouches for its awesomeness.

Overall... Pink's was underwhelming. Good hot dogs for sure, but I feel SO SORRY for those tourists that hear from everywhere that these are the best hot dogs in the world and are worth wasting an afternoon waiting for. Kind of like when I was in Philadelphia and we waited in line for a Philly Cheesesteak, only to leave the line and go to a less well-known place and have a just-as-good cheesesteak for half the cost and no wait!

The most valuable take-away from Pink's is that I can now say I've gone there. That's really it (and I think I got a little heartburn too).



This really only shows about a quarter of the whole line... ridiculous




No comments:

Post a Comment