Saturday, October 22, 2011

#32: See the LA Philharmonic play at the Disney Concert Hall

If you live in central Los Angeles, you have undoubtedly seen these all over town:



They always feature pictures of the Walt Disney Concert Hall (on the back side) and pictures of Gustavo Dudamel, the head conductor of the LA Philharmonic, in action.

And, if you're also like most Angelenos, you know that the cheapest tickets to see the LA Phil at the Disney concert hall cost well over $100.

I've always heard that the acoustics in the Disney Concert Hall are unparalleled, that the LA Philharmonic is one of the best orchestras in the world, that Dudamel is dynamic and brilliant... but all that can't justify me spending $120 for one ticket. Luckily, I have a loud voice, because one night I was at dinner with a friend, lamenting over the fact that I probably won't be able to cross this one off my list, when a nice lady leaned over from the table next to me and told me about a glorious thing called "rush tickets." I'm actually surprised I hadn't heard of rush tickets sooner, and apparently all major theaters have them. Two hours before showtime, anyone can go to the ticket booth and ask for rush tickets, and get almost any tickets that are still available for a fraction of the original cost!!!

Seeing the LA Phil at the Disney concert hall just went from "most expensive item on my list" to "definitely affordable." I picked a night to go when I knew Dudamel would be conducting, and had back-up plans (artwalk!) just in case the show was sold out.

I invited my new-to-LA friend Joli to come with me. We made it to the concert hall around 7:00 (for an 8:00 show) hopeful but doubting we would still be able to get tickets. But it was our lucky night, because there were plenty of rush tickets available. Turns out that night was supposed to feature pianist Yefim Bronfman, but he had fractured a finger and couldn't play, so lots of people returned their tickets. So for $20, yes, twenty dollars, we got seats in the fourth row of the front orchestra section. At the Disney Concert Hall. Joli had the quote of the night: "When I see things like this, it makes me wonder how anyone could hate LA." Amen sister, amen.

When Dudamel walked out on stage, and I was profoundly disappointed. All those hundreds of light-post banners featured not only Dudamel, but his glorious Sideshow Bob-esque head full of curls. I could only imagine what he would have looked like jumping around, waving his arms with his hair all over the place. Dudamel walked out with his hair slicked down and downright tame. Alright fine, I guess the show will have to be just about the music, not the conductors glorious hair.

The opening number was Vivier's Orion (yes, I am referencing my program right now.. not like I would ever remember this!) and it was sooooo boring. Lots of percussion and bells and banging and as Joli and I agreed, it took itself way too seriously. Plus, Dudamel's hair barely moved at all. Luckily it was the short number and only lasted about 15 minutes. The next number, replacing the pianist performance, was Ravel's Daphnis and Chloe, Suite No. 2. This one was so much better. It was uplifting, happy and beautiful.

After the intermission (sidenote: Joli and I both thought the show was over after the first two numbers, and the fancy old ladies next to me had to convince us that it was just the intermission) Dudamel came out again to conduct Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5. Minutes into the performance, I saw what I had come here to see all along. The hair. It has been fighting its way out of the slicked-down neatness during the last number, and with every crescendo and each tympani bang (at some points he was literally jumping in the air while conducting), it got bigger and bigger until it reached full fro. It was a sight to see, for sure.

Dudamel's hair aside, watching the LA Philharmonic perform this 40-minute long symphony was an interesting experience for me. The first ten minutes were enjoyable, and then... it just kept going. And going. Every time the musicians turned another page, I started to think to myself "Ugh, will this ever end???"

Then I had a little talk with myself.

"You are what is wrong with your generation! You have no attention span! For hundreds of years, this is what people were entertained with and it's not good enough for you??! Do you realize that not only did it take unthinkable genius for someone to write this music, but sitting right in front of you are 100 musicians that have dedicated their entire lives to perfecting their craft, just to play this symphony for your enjoyment!!!! You are going to regret when this is over, that all along you were wishing for it to end! Not to mention that you are sitting in one of the most famous buildings in the world! Get a grip!!!"

Yes, I talk to myself in multiple exclamation points. Don't judge. It was a growing-up moment for me. After that little talking-to, I sat back and just enjoyed the rise and fall of the music, listened to the "story" Tchaikovsky was telling, and reveled in the absolute genius and discipline of the people playing. It was superb.

I cannot wait to go back again. Dudamel is leaving the LA Phil soon, and I am so grateful I was able to see him (and his hair) in action. But for $20 (or $10 for seats higher-up) I am looking forward to a relaxing evening watching and listening to world-class musicians, in a world-renouned venue. What more could you want on a random Thursday evening?!


I was able to snap a few pictures before an usher snippily told me there was no photography allowed. Here the orchestra is warming up.



The breath-taking organ above the orchestra.


2 comments: